Monday, May 11, 2009

Week 19, Herpreet

Everybody! This is my final week of training before my triathlon. I am a little terrified, a little excited, and on some level, calm. The calm part baffles me and makes me less calm. Inner voice: Why are you so calm? You shouldn't be so calm. What's wrong with you? You better get anxious. If you're too calm, you'll freak out on the day of the event.

Today, we went out to Lake Austin. There are infinite places to swim here, I'm finding. I drove way into the hills and then down toward the water. One of our instructors lives on the lake. Our task was to swim 1/4 mile out to some reed grass and then back in for a total of 800 meters - race distance. My instructor advised that I use fins. Part of me didn't want the fins because it's easier to swim with them. But I think Coach V was wise. She said that I have anxiety about the murkiness - so I should get the fins on and concentrate on building my confidence about swimming in the KIND of water, since I already know that I can do the distance. She was correct. This is the FIRST TIME EVER that I have SWAM in murky lake water. Not treaded or floated or done some incorrect version of breast stroke. No, I swam. Freestyle and Back stroke. Occasionally, I did tread and float a bit to reorient myself and make sure I was swimming fairly straight and not way out to the middle of the lake. I did great. After the swim, I took the fins off and dove in and swam in the murk, blind as could be under water. But I reminded myself that when I breathe, I can see, and I can check to make sure I'm following the course correctly. If I can stay this calm on Sunday, it will feel like a major major feet.

2 comments:

Cristin said...

Congrats! You can do it. I know you can. You are strong and you are ready.

Nat D said...

I agree with Cristin. Just try to remember to breathe and enjoy yourself. Cause that's what its about, right? I have been very bad and unmotivated through finals and this week. I hope to get back into the swing of things tomorrow. Slug.