Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Week 9, Days 1 & 2, Herpreet

On Monday, our class did a swim. We always swim on Mondays. Last week I was in the depths of despair. Missing my friends. Missing familiar places. Familiar plants. Familiar food. Everything. I had also been working on a story ALL WEEKEND. And that does not make for a healthy-minded-herpreet. In fact, when I hole up and write like that for days without stopping to see the sun, I turn into a low, low creature. So that Monday, I was not in a good place. And I couldn't finish our swim. And that made me feel even lower.

BUT. This past Monday, we swam a total of....1400 yards!!!!! Amazing. Last week I couldn't even do the 600 we did, and this week I pushed through a whole 1400!!! (1600 yards is a mile! -So think about swimming the mile you run. Not bad, right?). Just to be clear, this was not 1400 strait swimming. We did a lot of endurance building exercises. For instance, we swam 100, did a 20 second rest and then repeated for a total of 400 yards. Then we did a longer rest. Then we broke it down into doing 50 yards with 10 second rests in between, etc.

Today, we are running at Barton Springs. I am happy about this because a) I'm starting to really love running, and b) it's nice outside - yesterday I noticed wisteria growing and it made me feel incredibly happy!

No comments: